Sunday, January 22, 2017

Day 3: The Dust Settling - In Your Eye

I didn't know what to write this morning, so I went about my day. Listened to 2.5 hours of NPR during my drive, chatted with a dear friend, and that helped me formulate a few thoughts:

I'm just gonna say it.

To those who made a protest vote during the election, I'm glad you like protesting because that's what we'll be doing a LOT of for the next two to four years.

So I'm glad you showed up yesterday, because you better damn well show up every day.

I know not everyone felt included in those marches. I specifically heard about non-white women, both before and after. The concept that there were no scuffles with the cops because white women aren't threatening. The cry that "Where were you white women during Black Lives Matter?".

I know some women feel they've been fighting forever. We all have to wake up sometime and be the new wave. But we have to listen to the others who have been there. We can't discount each other. We can't think we are the first. We are not the first and we won't be the last.

We have to allow for ALL voices. Every day. Not just some days. Not just when you feel comfortable. Not just when it fits your agenda.

So, let us not think that our well-spoken fiery Senators who ask the hard questions in the hearings for ill-equipped appointees will do the job for us. That's why we thought we had it in the bag. That's why we lost.

We have to do our research and speak up to our representatives, locally, state-wide, and nationwide. Make your voice heard. The moment we get complacent and think "I have so much on my plate" is the moment that it slips from our hands. They're counting on that. Keep up the fight. Listen to all the voices. Including and especially ones you don't agree with (on both sides of the fight). LISTEN. UNDERSTAND. LEARN. EDUCATE. And if you can't handle it, just vacate a bit for your mental health, recharge with your crew, and come back when you are ready. I get that. But do not stagnate. Create. Love.

Signed,

A Scared White Girl who probably wouldn't have gone to a rally even if she WAS near one because after watching BLM rallies, she's afraid of power-hungry cops, people with guns who have ignorance on the trigger, and people who use cars to mow people down. Yup, fear keeps me from crowds a lot of times... glad for the brave souls with hilarious signs that pounded the earth yesterday.... let's keep on in our many ways.


No comments:

Post a Comment