Sunday, March 7, 2021

Nebraska US Senators Oppose Covid Relief - May I Never Be Like Them

To Nebraska US Senators Fischer and Sasse, 

I write this with futility knowing you'll never read this and I send my apologies to your aides who will have to read my frustrations and select the appropriate generic letter for a response.  

If there is a god, I pray to it that I will never be like you. To take an oath to work for the benefit of Nebraskans, but to unironically lambast "the other side" for being "partisan" while you deny any benefits to struggling Nebraskans because it's too "progressive". Progress is not a dirty word. Progress is why a female such as yourself, Senator Fischer, can serve in a federal public office. 

I write this letter in futility knowing that my Senators have no sense of decency. I know they don't work for all Nebraskans. Just the ones that line their pockets. I know that my Senators will take hundreds of thousands of dollars from taxpayers as their salary every year and then continue to degrade and demean them. You don't work for the Nebraskans who have struggled with evictions during the pandemic. You don't work for the people who have lost their jobs, for the struggling small business owners. You don't work for the people that have died from this disease. You don't work for the Nebraskans who are mourning the loss of their loved ones. And I already know you don't work for women or my LGBTQ+ family and friends. 

You two Senators are the epitome of what disappoints me about Nebraska, about this country, this world. You'll take your benefits where you can and screw anybody over who can't do anything about it, help out your cronies and come up with pithy statements about "cuddly puppies" as if that helps anyone. 

I wish that you could be as ashamed of yourselves as I am of you. I want people in office who recognize the tragedy of what happens to us WITHOUT progress and empathy. I want people who don't just play a game with our lives called 'political tug of war'. 

You are people that don't make this world better for everyone in it, and I pray I don't end up like you. So yes, I'll continue to write enraged, futile letters knowing your aides will never pass them on and two or more months from now, I'll get a generic "As you know" letter that provides me no comfort, that provides no justification for your employment in a position of "public servant" that you fail to fulfill. I don't think there is anything either of you could say, but there is a hell of a lot you could do to turn this around. But I won't hold my breath. 

As Ever, Disappointed in You,

X

Below are screenshots of Sasse & Fischer Statements on why they opposed Covid Relief and text of the same in the caption box for those using screen readers.


U.S. Senator Ben Sasse issued the following statement regarding his vote against the Democrats' pork-filled $1.9 trillion COVID relief package.

“This weekend’s spending is bigger than the entire annual economy of Canada, yet only one percent of it is vaccine-related. Here’s how midnight spending bills go down: Senators hide a bunch of crap behind titles like ‘The Cuddly Puppies Act,’ and then say anybody voting against it hates puppies. This $1.9 trillion ‘emergency’ bill is overwhelmingly non-emergency — we should’ve just bought Canada too.”


Bill is Strictly Partisan, Full of Wish-List Items, and Leaves Out Rural America

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, U.S. Senator Deb Fischer (R-Neb.) released the following statement after voting against President Biden’s $1.9 trillion stimulus package:

“I voted against President Biden’s stimulus because the bill represented a strictly partisan, progressive wish list filled with items unrelated to aiding our recovery from COVID-19. In the last year, $4 trillion has been provided for relief with about $1 trillion still unspent.”

More information:

Senator Fischer offered several amendments to try to make the legislation more equitable for rural America. This included an amendment to distribute transit funding using a formula Congress already approved. This would ensure the transit funding doesn’t primarily benefit a few select coastal cities but instead is proportionately distributed across the country, including in Nebraska. 

Senator Fischer also offered an amendment to ensure protections for rural community health centers are not being degraded and that these centers are allocated the aid they need, rather than granting D.C. bureaucrats sole discretion over those funds.

Watch Senator Fischer’s floor speech on the House-passed version of Biden’s stimulus package here.


No comments:

Post a Comment